Monday, September 13, 2010

TIFF!

The Toronto International Film Fest is now in full swing! I love the film fest but hadn't planned on going to any of the premieres this year. So imagine my delight when my lovely cousins Holly and Jason offered me tickets to the opening night party last Thursday! My friend Lisa happily agreed to go with me. So that night we put on our chic party girl finest and headed down to the Liberty Grand. The opening movie was a hockey musical, so naturally everything at the party was hockey themed. There was a hot dog station. Poutine station. Hockey rink shaped dance floor. And many many stocked bars. After we finished our poutine and grabbed a beverage we headed outside to the gorgeous patio. We both brought our cameras (just in case we spotted a celebrity!), and Lisa started scanning the small group of people around us for someone to take our photo. She settled on a petite blonde girl in a very cool gold hooded mini dress.

"Excuse me?" Lisa politely asked. "But would you mind taking our photo", gesturing towards the two of us.

"Sure! No problem", the blonde replied. She enthusiastically took Lisa's camera and snapped away. "I'm going all Mom-like on you right now", she even joked.

After she handed the camera back to Lisa I really took a good look at her. She looked really familiar. The cool blonde hair. The rock and roll outfit.

"Lis, I think that's the lead singer of Metric..." I whispered

"It does kinda look like her", Lisa whispered back

"No, I think it IS her Lis!"

So Lisa then politely taps her again and asks, "Umm sorry... but are you in a band?"

"Yeah, we all are" the blonde replies, gesturing to the two cool looking guys she's talking with.

"OH MY GOD! Lisa, I told you we just asked Emily from Metric to take our photo!!" I yelped.

They laughed - thankfully! While we were mortified that we had just asked the famous people to take our photo, they joked about how awesome it was. We chatted with them for a few minutes. Talking about their new album. Talking about their recent gig at Lollapalooza. They could not have been lovelier. So we decided to push our luck a little more. I must admit. We are not cool party people. We get excited about seeing famous people. So yeah, we asked if we could have photos taken with them. They were kind enough to grant our request. So we snapped a couple pictures, thanked them, turned our backs for one second... and they were gone!

But it didn't matter. That 10 minutes made our night! And it gave us a great new way to approach famous people... You walk right up to them. And then ask them to take your photo! We tried it again later in the evening when I recognized a former star from Degrassi the Next Generation. He however was NOT into this. He clearly thought we should have immediately acknowledged who he was. And because of this, we obviously didn't.

So I must thank Jason and Holly again for the great party tickets! It was TIFF-rrific!

No comments:

Post a Comment