Thursday, November 25, 2010

Charm School

Every once in a while when I visit my parents, my Mom goes through her old jewellery and lets my sister and I have some pieces she doesn't wear anymore (this is a truly fun activity!) Fortunately for me, my sister can't wear silver, so I automatically get all that stuff. One of my FAVOURITE pieces is my Mom's old silver charm bracelet. I have a deep love for charm bracelets. This one is like a little look into Mom's teenager years. Charms from trips she'd been on. Charms for interests she had. Charms given to her by my beloved Grandpa. To me, it's a very special piece. But I had begun to worry that perhaps I was getting "too old" for such sweet things. But the other weekend I had some of my very fashionable friends over for Bad Movie night, and noticed that almost all of them were wearing pretty little necklaces with small charms! Horseshoes, initials (I must say, I've been eyeing these ones from Tiffany's for a while now), and of course the ones we got from our San Francisco marathon. So I took this as a sign - charms are still ok! They give you that classic preppy look that pretty much sums up my style.

So now, everyday I happily wear my marathon charm with a smaller piece my Mom gave to my sister and I the other year for Christmas. The pearl is from a necklace that was my Grandma's, and the diamond was from a pair of earrings my Grandpa gave her. Like every charm should be, they are personal and well... Charming!

No comments:

Post a Comment