Sunday, March 14, 2010

Downsizing

Don't worry, I'm not talking corporate downsizing. This is about makeup bag downsizing. My dear friend Lindsay sent me an email a while back suggesting I do a post about makeup bag refreshing. And with the weather starting to turn warm my thoughts turn to Spring cleaning. So I decided to include my makeup bag in my Spring cleanup this year.

Step one was to buy a new bag. Something smaller then my current one. I won't be able to carry around as much stuff. This is a good thing, because really, it's not like I need (or wear) several shades of eyeshadow. Or eye liner. Or blush. So why the hack am I lugging it around? I think my new bag is very cute. (and I got it on sale at Anthropologie!)

Step two was to toss the old stuff I haven't been using. This was actually a little difficult. Why am I so attached to old makeup? It's like I have this worry that once I throw it out, I'll suddenly need poppy red cream blush. If actually tossing your old products is too traumatic, I suggest taking them out of your bag and storing them elsewhere. (I guarantee, after a couple weeks, you'll completely forget about them).

Step three was to refresh the products I decided to keep. I bought a new bottle of my favourite lip stain. My tube of my favourite mascara. I cleaned my makeup brushes. (If you're looking to buy new brushes, the Quo line at Shoppers Drug Mart is great). Got some new blending sponges. Now everything feels fresh and clean and new (which is good considering this stuff goes on my face!)

Another thing to keep in mind as we move into Spring. Spring leads to Summer (who knew!). And with Summer comes hot weather (again I'm blowing your mind right?!). No one wants to have pounds of heavy makeup on when it's warm outside. Less is more. Sheer is better. So if you do decide to pick up some new products, look for tinted moisturizers, stains, and gels. Light washes of colour will look natural and feel much better!


No comments:

Post a Comment