Thursday, February 11, 2010

"Do we need to stage an intervention?"

This was the question asked by my friend Laura at work this morning. No need to worry friends. I do not have a substance abuse problem. She was referring to an exercise addiction. Let me give you some background...

So with this whole "I'm going to run a marathon" declaration this year came some worries. I'm not talking about the worry of running 42.2km in one go (although, believe me, that is a bit of a concern). My worry was injury related. You see, I'm what you might call injury prone. Not like "Opps, I just slipped on a pack of ice and bruised my bum (although that has happened once or twice). No I'm talking "Ouch! I just slipped a disc in my back" or "Ouch! I've torn my LCL (that's Lateral Collateral Ligament in case you were wondering). So while many of my fellow runners have goals that relate to finish times, my main goal is to not get injured this year. Which means more training. Cross training. On the suggestion of my fantastic running coach, I decided to check out
Energia on the Danforth. They offer yoga AND spin classes. Just what the doctor ordered. For $20 I got a week of unlimited classes (only valid for your first week). After that you can buy class passes (takes away the guilt of not using a gym membership). Saturday I tried spinning. Monday was Yoga for Runners (which made me realize I need to be doing A LOT more yoga). Wednesday morning was Spin again. But the class was at 6:30am. After I had been running the night before. This is what prompted Laura to ask if an intervention was needed.


I've assured Laura (and everyone else who thinks I've lost my mind) that I'm ok. This is all needed. I'm feeling good. And only a little sore. (Like "Hello muscles! Where have you been hiding?" sore)

No comments:

Post a Comment