Saturday, October 17, 2009

Fall comforts

Autumn is my favourite time of year. I love the smells, the colours, the crisp air. But I especially love the food. Fall foods are the best. Comforting. There's nothing I love more then throwing on a chunky sweater and scarf, walking to a market and picking up fresh fall fruits and vegetables. Then spending a couple of hours puttering around the kitchen making a fabulous meal. This is my ideal way to spend the weekends. But, a girl has to eat during the week too. And timing doesn't always allow for me to spend hours slaving over the stove on a weeknight. (Not if I want to eat before midnight anyway).

But thanks to my Mommy, I have fantastic recipes that allow me to enjoy all of Fall's finest in very little time. One of my favourite such recipes is Stuffed Squash. Delicious, hearty, and super quick and easy:

4 Servings
2 medium acorn squash
1 lb ground beef
2 medium apples, chopped
1/4 raisins or cranberries or nothing
1 1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. ground nutmeg
4 tsp. brown sugar
2 tbsp. butter, melted

Pierce squash a couple of times with tip of knife to allow steam to escape. Place squash 2 inches apart on paper towel in microwave. Microwave on high 6 minutes. Carefully remove squash from microwave and cut into halves (cross the middle) and scrap out seeds. Remove stems and if necessary cut a small slice from end to allow squash to stand up on own. Arrange squash halves cut-sides down in baking dish, (9 X 13 - or do in batches). Cover tightly with plastic wrap and microwave on high until tender, 6 to 9 minutes. Let stand 3 minutes.

Cook ground beef in frying pan until browned. Place cooked beef into large bowl. Add apples, raisins, salt and nutmeg to ground beef.

Turn squash halves cut sides up. Scoop pulp from shells, leaving about 1/4 inch thick wall in each half and add to meat mixture. Combine well. Pile mixture into shells. Top with sugar. Melt butter and drizzle over each shell. Return squash to baking dish, cover tightly with plastic and microwave for 7 to 9 minutes. Remove plastic and let stand for 3 minutes.

I like to serve this with green beans or brussel sprouts. And for dessert, the easiest Apple Crumble ever (stay tuned for that recipe!)

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment