Thursday, October 29, 2009

Gotta go to the AGO

Last night my good friend Traven and I took a little trip to the AGO. I've been madly in love with the building ever since the Frank Gehry renovation. The spiral staircase and Italian Gallery are BEYOND beautiful. The architecture of the building is reason enough to visit.

But this particular excursion was to see the Alexander Calder exhibit. The main feature of this show is his miniature circus. I can not express how whimscal and charming these pieces were. Trampeze artists, knife throwers, elephants, a lion tamer - Calder's circus had it all!! The BEST accompaniment to the pieces was the video of Calder playing with them. His intense focus while demostrating how these figures worked was amazing! I only wish we had been allowed to take pictures. But sadly that was a gallery no no. The exhibit also features some of Calder's wire portrait sculptures. These were also fantastic. The AGO did a brilliant job lighting them, as they cast drawing like shadows on the walls that almost seemed animated.

The exhibit runs until January 10th, 2010. A must see if I do say so myself! (and I do)



No comments:

Post a Comment