Monday, October 26, 2009

Roam around the ROM

The other week I took a little trip to the ROM. I love visiting the ROM. I remember going there as a kid with my Mom and Dad to see the dinosaurs. This visit was to check out the Vanity Fair Portrait exhibition. The show is a beautiful collection of nearly 150 iconic celebrity photographs - spanning 1913-36 and 1983-present.

What I love best about going to galleries and museums is listening to other peoples conversations about the pieces. When I walked into the exhibit I was behind two girls in their earlier 20's. They stood for a long time in front of the first 2 portraits - one of Mary Pickford, the other of Conrad Black and his wife. Before moving on to look at the rest of the show they commented "Oh, I guess they mixed up the order. Like, I don't think these two are from the same era..." Oh. Good. Lord. No, Mary Pickford and Conrad Black are not from the same era. (This was almost as funny as the time I heard two university students on the subway talking about the world history exam they were about to take. One asked the other "So like, what was the deal with WWI?") I love people sometimes!

The Vanity Fair show is on at the ROM until January 3, 2010. (and if you go on a Friday, it's half price!)


No comments:

Post a Comment