Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Get Cooking!

I love to cook. And bake. The Food Network is one of my favourite channels. I can watch show after show for hour after hour, filling my head with tasty meal ideas. I find my favourite chef, and then buy their cookbook. I've now got quite a nice little collection! Without a doubt, my all time favourite is Ina Garten - The Barefoot Contessa. She's amazing! My friend Lindsay and I like to fantastize about being on her show as her "dear friends". We'd come over to her house and help her make a fabulous dinner... She'd fuss over us... Sigh... Sorry, got side tracked there for a minute! Back to the matter at hand. Cookbooks. Ina's books are GREAT! Total comfort food. Not necessarily the most low fat, but you can modify were needed. The food always turns out perfect. (p.s. I met her once at a book signing. We talked about granola!)

You also can't go wrong with Everyday Food. They have a little reader's digest sized monthly magazine which I'm in love with. Loads of great recipes. Perfect size for stocking stuffers. They also have a full size cookbook. LOVE it. The recipes are divided into seasons - so you always cook what's in season!

If you fancy yourself a domestic goddess, then you have to get something by Nigella Lawson (I've met her too!). My Dad likes to refer to her as the "British babe". Her food is a little retro at times. Has an old school English charm. She also makes the most beautiful kitchen and cooking products. (I've got several items!) They've become hard to find in Canada, so grab them if you see them! The last (but not least) lady to mention is Laura Calder and her book French Food at Home. She makes french cooking easy and accessible. (Dad also likes her - known as "that other babe")

Now we've got to talk about the fellas! Jamie Oliver is the MAN! Attractive and he can cook - sign me up! His food is simple, a little rustic and always easy. My other favourite man is Tyler Florence. He used to be referred to as my Food Network boyfriend (he got married a few years back so we had to breakup...). He specializes in making ultimate comfort food. Delicious!

So, if you know someone who likes to cook (or who you'd like to cook better...) consider picking up one of these fabulous cookbooks for Christmas!

(note, if you order online from Chapters, it's usually cheaper then buying in stores!)

No comments:

Post a Comment