Saturday, January 9, 2010

Are you ready to ROCK?!

As far as my musical tastes go, heavy is not a word I would use. I'm a pop music sort of gal. Heavy metal never really did it for me. I never would have imagined going to a heavy metal concert. I certainly never would have imagined enjoying a heavy metal concert! Well that all changed last night. Allow me to provide some background...

Back in November my friend Lindsay and her husband David had been raving about a movie called Anvil! The Story of Anvil. It's about a Canadian heavy metal group from the 80's. They influenced groups like Metallica, but themselves faded into obscurity. I loved the last music related documentary Lindsay had recommended (Young @ Heart*) so I decided to rent Anvil. The film was awesome. Funny and surprisingly touching. Despite their hardships, the band stayed together the past two decades. Recorded MANY albums and continued to tour. They are men in their 50's who talk like they're teenagers. You meet their families. See them at work. Watch them struggle. And finally succeed. GREAT movie! So when Lindsay told me that my birthday present was to see them in concert with her and David I was thrilled!

This brings us back to last night. We decided that if we were going to the show of an 80's metal band, we should look the part. I borrowed my cousin Jen's awesome leather jacket, we teased our hair, applied insane amounts of black eyeliner and were ready to ROCK! The show was awesome! High energy. Fun. Crazy! So if you're lookin' to ROCK OUT, go rent Anvil! The Story of Anvil.

* Young @ Heart is a movie about a senior citizens choir. Sooo cute. So fun. And so sad. I was crying so hard by the end I almost threw up. BEST movie ever!

No comments:

Post a Comment