Sunday, January 31, 2010

Tastes like chicken!

So far this year, my goal for healthy eating is going well. But I continue to search for interesting meal options. While it would be easy to stick with poached chicken and steamed vegetables, life would then not be worth living! Now I should mention that I'm a big meat eater. I love meat! Steak and chicken and lamb - oh my! I love it all. I am the last person who would become a vegetarian. Or even (gasp!) vegan! Tofu is not a friend of mine. But, I do understand that sometimes going meatless is a good idea. So one afternoon not long ago I was watching Oprah. She had on a well known vegan chef. He had Oprah raving about this product that looks and tastes like chicken, but is made up of soy protein, wheat gluten, and ancient grains like quinoa. It's called Gardein. I was intrigued. Luckily, the Loblaws near my house sells it. I picked up the Tuscan Chicken Breasts. They take only 2 minutes in the microwave, so they're perfect if you're looking for a fast and easy dinner. And surprisingly, they do taste pretty close to chicken. Similar look and texture also. Not a perfect match, but close enough. The best part - they're low in fat and calories, and are an excellent source of protein and iron. They come in a variety of flavours - Dijon, Tuscan, and Santa Fe. This healthy eating thing just got a whole lot more interesting!

2 comments:

  1. Mmm, they sound interesting. I may have to try them out! Seem easy to cook as well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. They're so good! I'm particularly obsessed with the Santa Fe ones!

    ReplyDelete