Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Off to the races!

As I've mentioned, I'm a runner. I love running in races. This coming weekend is the Scotiabank Toronto Waterfront Marathon. I'll be running in the 5km event (injury forced me out of the half marathon). In the days leading up to a race it's important to eat well. Load up on stuff that's good for you. Carbs are good for runners. (One of the many reasons I LOVE running!) So in honour of my fellow runners, I thought I'd share with you my favourite "carb load" dinner. It comes courtesy of chef Michael Smith the "Chef at Home". Click here to get the recipe.

Now, he says the pancetta is optional. I would argue that it's absolutely mandatory. I would also recommend drizzling a little balsamic vinegar (or glaze if you have it) over the finished roasted tomatoes. Gives them a little zing! You can also play with the seasonings. Feel like something a little French - throw in some herbs de provence. Care for something more spicy - try red pepper flakes. Accompanied with a lovely green salad this is winning pre-race dinner. (I also like to enjoy a glass of red wine with this when not in race day prep mode)

Now that you've got your carb fix, go kick some asphalt!!

No comments:

Post a Comment