Wednesday, September 2, 2009

If you like it then you should put a ring on it


I love jewelry. This is not a shocking statement. Really, what girl doesn't. I think I get this from my Mom. This is a woman who loves her some bling! Some much so that she has a "guy" in the Bahamas who emails her items to check out. But that is a story for another day...

Like my Mommy, rings are probably my favourite. But as anyone who knows me will tell you, I'm VERY particular about what I like. Not just any old ring will do. For me, it's about having pieces that are unique. Something that not everyone and their grandma has. I love when someone compliments one of my rings, asking where I bought in the hopes that they can get one too. I can then very nicely (although in my head slightly smugly) say "Why thank you. It's one of a kind" or "They only had one left and I bought it". The best way of ensuring this happens is to buy jewelry from smaller stores and boutiques, or to get one of a kind pieces made. My favourite such store is owned by my friends brother - Leif Benner. This place is a little "gem" (some jewelry humour for you) in the Distillery District. I'm lucky enough to have two of his pieces. The one pictured on the left is one Leif designed. The one on the right I designed and my friend made. But the best thing about knowing someone who makes jewelry is that when I go to visit I get to try on all the pieces! You haven't lived until you've had several diamond engagement rings on at once!

No comments:

Post a Comment