Sunday, September 13, 2009

Today I went swimming with turtles and saw a ballet in Paris...

Well not actually, but it sure felt like it! Today I got to see two TIFF documentaries courtesy of my friend from work. (she had tickets she couldn't use). The first film was Turtle: The Incredible Journey. An incredible journey indeed. This little movie about a little loggerhead turtle (who eventually grows to be quite large) was delightful. It had everything. Drama, suspense, sadness, and joy. The movie itself is beautifully filmed. Like beyond gorgeous. The story was also fantastic. And while it becomes clear that they are not following around the same turtle for the entire film, they make it seem like she is the same. And you want to believe she is. I even gave her a name - Murtle. Yup, Murtle the Turtle. I know, I am super creative and original! Parents take note, this is a great movie to see with your kids. There were tons of kids at the screening I was at. The four year old sitting beside me really seemed to enjoy it, and he was only temporarily traumatized when the just hatched turtles were being attacked by crabs. (Five minutes later he was totally over it)
The second documentary was La Danse. This film offers a behind the scenes look at the Paris Opera Ballet. It too is beautiful. Especially if you like ballet. The dancing is absolutely stunning. My only complaint - the length. It was over 2.5 hours long. After an hour and a half my butt was numb, my legs needed stretching and I had a rather full bladder. And while the dancing was great, with no narrator or plot, it did seem to drag a little. It could have benefited from an intermission.

No comments:

Post a Comment