Friday, November 13, 2009

Have hoop, will hula!

I like to try new things. I try to live by the motto "I'll try anything once". Well, almost anything... (Let's not be ridiculous now!) So when my friend and fellow blogger Running Shorts (check out her fantastic blog here) suggested we try a Hula Hoop exercise class, I eagerly accepted. Now, it should be noted that this is not the first time Running Shorts and I have done a crazy workout together (and I'm not talking about half marathon training runs). Last year we took a group strip tease class. This was easily one of the funniest workouts EVER! After learning how to do a sexy walk, wind our bodies like a snake, and whip our hair around we left with a new found respect for exotic dancers. (That's seriously tough work!) The day after was far less sexy as we had sore backs and bruised knees. Try discussing that with male friends and co-workers... You've never seen such interest!

But back to the Hula Hooping. So we had registered for a class with Hoop Toronto's Feel Good Friday. The classes take place at World TKB on Bloor Street. I really had no idea what to expect. The little bit of their website I had read promised a class that would release stress, boost our self esteem, and increase our libido (?!) What sort of class had we signed up for? When we got there, Running Shorts informed me that she had checked out the website earlier and discovered that there would be dancing involved. Now I was nervous. If our last adventure in "dancing" was any indication, this could go terribly terribly wrong... Fortunately, our hooping instructor Sadie immediately put us at ease. After teaching us the proper hooping technique we were off to the races! What a work out - we were sweating profusely after only 15 minutes. Then it was time for the interpretive style dancing. We were all given blindfolds. Normally this would not be something I'm into, but it actually put us at ease. We could be free to dance around with our hula hoops like circus freaks, and not worry about what other people thought. Genius! We then got to try hooping and dancing together. Surprisingly fun and easy. Sadie even showed us how to do a couple of simple tricks. Twirling while hooping. Jumping and hooping. Catching the hoop. We were starting to get pretty good. Although, (and I think Running Shorts will agree with me here) there were other, more experienced hoopers that looked WAY better! The class was an absolute blast and I would definitely go back! It really helped stretch and loosen our bodies. But in keeping with our tradition for strange post workout bruising, our hip bones did suffer a little...

So what's next for Running Shorts and the Little Honey Bee? Well there is talk about going to circus school to try our hand at trapeze and trampoline. Stay tuned...

(Photo not included in this post to protect the innocent...)

3 comments:

  1. 1. Some of those hoopers were NOT beginners, but we totally held our own.
    2. My old lady hips hurt to the touch. Ouch.
    3. Trapeze will be awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahaha! We DID hold our own! I had to wear sweat pants all day because my waist was too sore for jeans. We are well on our way to becoming a triple threat!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is my first time i visit here and I found so many interesting stuff in your blog especially it's discussion, thank you. https://thepartycharacters.com/hula-dancer/

    ReplyDelete